Sign in to follow this  
mpersell

Tried E30 in 2007 Dodge Ram FFV

Guest colchiro

When I make big % ethanol changes, it usually catches up by the end of the tank.

When I make big % ethanol changes, it usually catches up by the end of the tank.

I try not to make big changes any more.. I run the tank down to about 2 gallons..I add a gallon or so of unleaded then fill the tank with e85 working to always stay in that E55-E60 range until I get around to installing larger injectors . I cant remeber off hand the last time i threw a cel and my mileage is really good and stable

I have an 01 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 which I run E85 exclusively.  I made a trip to Colorado Springs in February into a hard headwind and only bought gasoline twice on the trip.  Both fills would have put the ethanol blend at about 30% give or take.  Mileage went up appropriately right away.

Am pretty sure my 01 relies on the O2 sensors to determine mixture as I've not found anything about dielectric sensors in any of my research.  How do the recent consumer flex fuel units determine what's in the tank?

Until I sent an oil sample in for analysis at 100,000 miles did I know I had a flex.  The sample results came back indicating the truck was E85 compatible and I've been running in almost exclusivley ever since.  I actually had been testing higher percentages in incremental fills until stuffing 25 gallons in the 26 gallon tank on a trip from Bloomington, IL to my home in DeKalb.  No check engine light, low power, lean surges...nothing.  When analysis came back that phenomenon was explained!  Averaging 4 cents/mile savings over current price of gas in this area driving about 200 miles/week as a sales rep.

Aparently in 01 Dodge put out a bunch of flex fuel trucks to the leasing companies.  I bought mine from Gelco through DeKalb Genetics so I'm guessing it was one of those clandestine units.  Will roll over 136,000 this week.

UND did a test on e-30 and e-20 and found that depending on test vehicle the mpg was higher on the e-30 (for ford test vehicle 1 %)  How do I mix e-85 with gas to make e-30?