Sign in to follow this  
mpersell

Do E85 blenders have different degrees of quality E85?

I bit the bullet and bought VE85 today at Kroger.  Coming home I noticed the truck being much happier with the fuel.  A rough estimate of same trip, same load, same truck showed better mileage than previous Kroger fuel. (Kroger is all we have for now in Dallas)

Previously I dropped a lot of mpg using their E85.  Today is much better mileage.

Give it some time mpersell and let us know. Ethanol itself is one simple compound. What gets put with it theoretically could make a difference. Thoughts that come to mind are: high btu denaturant for the gas portion(some have experimented with this but my understanding is there was little difference), NL gas vs denaturant for the gas portion(was no difference here when i made the switch), an additive, a possible addition of 1% biodiesel such as with AGE85 (not sure this is legal in land version), OR most likely of any difference in E85--a richer NL blend such as E70 vs E78 or E85. While I do not know what they do in Texas- I suspect it was NL both times unless they picked up some offspec or specialty blending componet before from a nearby refinery. Most ethanol plants in the Eastern 2/3's of the Midwest use pentane for denaturant for consistancy and ultra low sulfur.

Did you see both this and the previous E85 in a glass jar? Was one water clear and the other tinted yellow? If so which was tinted yellow?

Other than the above- there are just operating conditions differences that could have existed between tanks is all that comes to mind.

Did you get a look at some of it in a clear glass jar?---if so, what color was it? Do you know what the previous color was when the other supplier's product was in the tank?

Historically my FFV's would respond positively at seasonal % blend changes for the first 1-3 tanks- other folks sometimes see it the other way. I wonder what % your ethanol content is now vs before?