Sign in to follow this  
furball64801

New study on switchgrass

"A five year trial of the native North American prairie grass on farmland in the Midwestern United States revealed that the crop produces 540 percent more renewable energy than energy consumed in its production" 

:o

Thats great news.. Any Govt incentive programs to grow switchgrass that anyone is aware of ?  Any ethanol Plants operating that could even process switchgrass at this time ?

Wow. That's impressive. A 540% return on inputs? This should put a lot more focus on the long term returns, I think.

Is that a 5.4:1 return (makes more sense)...or a genuine 540% (we'll be swimming in bio ethanol a lot faster than we think?)

I am sure Pimmentel and Patek could trim that down by figuring out the energy used to make all workers clothes, roadway maintenance, power used by all of us of the internet running our computers discussing it with our house lights on and heat turned up instead of going to bed with the chickens, energy used to make the harvesting equipment, build the plants, yada, yada ;D while in the meantime crude oil is free energy that we can just make gas with. That of course does not have workers wearing clothes, require new equipment, road maintenance, using the internet to debate, yada, yada- because it's all free anyway ::)

I like you guys, but I'd like to keep focus on the positive side of this report if possible. It's something good to work with. I don't typically believe in silver bullets, but please try not to miss Furball's original point. This is actually good news!

What do you think it means?

I'd like to see more development of tropical maize.  It's one of those things I read about that seems to have a lot of potential, but I never heard about it again.

If they can make the technology for cellulose to ethanol work, that would be great too.  Anything to get us out of the middle east.

Cessna, you make some excellent points.  I would like to see you start your own thread about this.