Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

-10 Below Zero this Morning..

My wife got me a Remote Starter for Christmas and I installed it a few days ago.

Using the remote it took 3 trys to get the car started at 1- degrees below zero this morning..

1st try was the typical low crank due to the cold

2nd try crank started but only ran for about 3 seconds

3rd try started and ran

I take it the start cycle is either all or nothing ??

No chance for you to do the 5 sec. pause to prime the fuel system/lines ??

All or nothing..

I'm actually "ok" with it .. If I was in the vehicle I could goose it to give it a bit more fuel and we would have been fine on the second crank. 

Guest colchiro

Dan, what brand?

My installer told me he thought my AstroStart had that option, but I don't see it in the remote manual, so would probably be a dip switch setting on the unit.

Dan, what brand?

My installer told me he thought my AstroStart had that option, but I don't see it in the remote manual, so would probably be a dip switch setting on the unit.

Morning Rick

It's the basic ReadyRemote no dip switches ..I'm actually less concerned about needing to make a couple attempts to start than I am about the poor (remote range) range on it . I'm trying to locate a external antenna for it. Not finding anything..I may just use a cell phone magnet mount antenna

The only thing that this remote unit has is about 5 inches of blackwire coming out of it as it's antenna..and the whole unit including wire is stuffed up under the dash. This was the easiest install ever though. The Suzuki had 4 screws to remove the panel and left a nice 2x2 ft opening ... the main wire harness right smack in the middle .

What's fun is when it takes 4 tries.

It was 12 degrees above zero this morning and started right off..but only ran 3-4 seconds..2nd crank started right and kept running

That was "normal" for this car so I am happy.  Even running gasoline it only wanted to run a few seconds (cold weather) unless i gave it a  little gas ..

The difference is ethanol or gasoline when using the remote I cant feather accelerator ..so I'll live with start on the second crank.

Wondering though if going to a larger injector might also solve that minor issue..a little more fuel though on the first crank

Dan,

You might try Larry's "lightbulb in the engine compartment" trick,  just to see if there's any improvement.

This might be a great data point for others having similar startup problems.

BTW :  My Silverado hasn't had near the cold start problems it had originally.

A reprogram fixed that problem and also brought my mileage on E85 up abit..