Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

I need your opinions, guys. Found something kinda cool.

I'm a pretty darn frugal shopper. I've also found E85 and biofuels to not be impossible, unattainable, or unworkable. Rolling both together sounds like a winning combination.

I've found two affiliate programs that really help fill out my niche site over at the lab. I had been looking for different forms of income without annoying popups and advertising. Yet, there's a desire to use my space wisely and effectively at the same time. JC Whitney and Amazon have sales affiliate programs where I can basically make a commission off of products online. It looks like it could be some good supplemental income along with google adsense.

People come to my site for the content, and I intend to keep it that way. Offering books (especially hard to find ones!), manuals, EFI scanners, and eventually EFI parts like injectors, pumps, regulators, fuel rails, and fuel line/hose was always in the back of my mind. However, I didn't want the headache of inventory to track. This lets me offer all the nick-nacks and existing equipment that I keep saying works fine with ethanol blended fuels. I even get to branch out a touch and peer into other markets that biofuels reverberate into like electronics, customer support, and software.

I think I'm on the right trail, and would like my peer's opinions ;).

I honestly thought JC Whitney would jump all over this opportunity, but they turned their noses up at the idea. I just didn't expect that. Maybe I need to talk to someone different. I like their scanning equipment offerings and hoped they had a wide selection of injectors and pumps. Amazon has a far better book selection and even offers plenty of car parts, believe it or not.

Amazon has been a peach to deal with compared to JC Whitney, at least initially. Any idea why?

Thanks, Phil. I really think there's plenty to offer the biofuel tuning crowd without having to reinvent the wheel. Finding a good affiliate program is the hard part. So far, Amazon has the lead.

I have had very good luck with Amazon on other purchases than books. I think the difference is that Amazon "gets it" as far as internet sales and understands that quick reliable service is probably the most important single attribute of an on line retailer. I have recently started checking them first for purchases for that specific reason.

Larry

Thanks guys :). Amazon is ready to go. I just need to add their links to my site. That'll take a few days. Turns out JC Whitney IS a little weird about things like this, so there's no love lost there.

Something else I'd like to get going is a trust fund for ethanol projects. Perhaps "trust fund" isn't the right word. To set up a fund for smaller firms to experiment and learn with ethanol blended fuels is the idea. Large corporations and grants want a piece of your research. I open source stuff anyway. Running a non-profit to manage something like this crossed my mind, but at this point I'm just musing about it.

GT,

Have you looked at NAPA as your parts source.  They have  a pretty wide selection of

parts available, and are pretty web-savvy.  The guys I talk to always sound real interested

in what I'm doing with ethanol fuel, too.  I've gone with them over the years after encountering

quality problems with other parts suppliers..

I have looked at Napa, but suspect I need to look harder. I think they want a buy in, which I'm not ready to do. Amazon offers a good start, but there are other options, I'm sure.

Gran Touring Labs  glad you and all the others are here, your not afraid to take the bull by the horn.  Just look at all the alternatives that are being looked at now.  There are tons of links to solar, ashpalt heat, salt heat and the list goes on.  Nanosolar may get things going on a solar car that can actually run a vehicle look into this company if you haven't.  These are exciting times if people can see the vision.

http://astore.amazon.com/gratoulab-20

Whew!!! That oughta cover it for now. I need to do some pruning to it, but that is a hell of a lot of support equipment that has SOMETHING to do with EFI, engineering, computer control systems, sensors, or electrical tinkering.

Let me know if I left anything out ;D.