Sign in to follow this  
rusty70f100

Here's what I want in a blender pump.

Here's my dream of what a blender pump would do:

It would have a dial and a digital readout.  You could dial any percentage ethanol you wanted, from 0 to 85, or possibly 0 to 100 if the laws would allow it.  The readout would read ethanol percentage (it would change in 1% increments), the (R+M)/2 octane rating that would give you, and the price after tax.  Then you hit the big red "go" button or something similar, swipe your card if needed and start fueling!

If you wanted to get real fancy, and if the station had enough tanks, you could select the gasoline grade to blend with the ethanol with couple selector buttons.

That way, people could dial in exactly what their car runs best with, and gives them the most miles per $ spent.  The hot rodders could go get their E85 or E100 or whatever, and the enthusiasts could dial the mixture back so they could start in wintertime.  Then post a message about cold starting above certain percentages in cold seasons to minimize problems uninformed people might run into.

We live in a modern high tech society, right?  Why isn't this possible?

I think the racers would want to give you a hug Rusty 8). I think it would be a nightmare with the average consumer who would put 85% in in the winter or 100% at anytime. This would be best at a "blocked" pump where you would have to go inside first so that they could confirm what the avarage "Joe" needs- problem is they could not let you buy any fuel that your car was not certified to the EPA to burn >:(

Hey Outlaw...

I agree with you. I have had people come out and tell me I can't put E85 in my '91 Nissan 240sx...

I have to tell them that it has been modified to run it, and if you don't let me get it here, I'll go get it somewhere else... They usually waddle back to there little concrete block house