Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Kansas A pilot project will let stations sell blends (blender pumps)

Saw a nice tv piece on ethanol plant starting production this week.  They said it will produce 200k to 300k per day of ethanol maid from distellers.  They also mentioned selling carbon back or something like that didnt catch the whole thing.

The first blender pump that really got my attention was in 2003 in Carthage Missouri. It had 5 buttons dispensing 87,89,90,91, and 93 or something like that. It was unleaded only and I thought it interesting that people could decide within 1 octane number what they wanted.

I believe that in the state of WI. I could offer E60 but anything over E10 would have to be labeled for "Flex-Fuel Vehicles Only" per EPA. Some states may have rules regarding this  (California comes to mind as an example). Some flex-fuel car makers might also frown on it since some of the ECU programing was supposedly programed from 0-13% and 70% and over (until they found out that in exreme cold areas of the Dakotas often go to 60% in the winter :D).

I believe that in the state of WI. I could offer E60 but anything over E10 would have to be labeled for "Flex-Fuel Vehicles Only" per EPA. Some states may have rules regarding this  (California comes to mind as an example). Some flex-fuel car makers might also frown on it since some of the ECU programing was supposedly programed from 0-13% and 70% and over (until they found out that in exreme cold areas of the Dakotas often go to 60% in the winter :D).

outlaw are you in the grand old state of Wi my stomping grounds as a kid.  Kenosha was where I was born and raised big time Pack fan here lol.

Missouri goes to a 10% ethanol blend on Jan 1st.  My question is:

What products does the standard pump in Minnesota offer?  E-10 is 89 Octane, right?  Do they just have E-10, and Premium?  Do they put some "junk" into their e10 to bring it back down to 87 octane?  What?

I am in Central Wisconsin Furball.

Dan- do you know how Minnesota makes their E10? One way is to use conventional 87 octane NL and just add 10% ethanol and post it both as 87 octane and 89 octane. Often though, where everyone offers E10- oil companies will use suboctane 85 to make 87.

I remember reading a few years ago about how some stations in eastern Iowa were adding 10% ethanol to 85 octane regular to make 87. They priced it lower also so was a good deal for some drivers.