Sign in to follow this  
bubba

Transporting E85

I've always used 5 gal. jerry cans. They seem to hold up very well. I've been using them om & off for about 5 years now.

I also have a 100 gallon transfer tank for the bed of my Silverado, along with pumps , valves, etc.

Just curious - with E85 being touted as so conductive - do the standard grounding / bonding requirements come into play?

I have transferred diesel fuel from one container to another during the dry winter months - on several occasions saw and heard a static spark jump ~1" from the can to the tank.  This might have been bad news with lower flash point fuels like gasoline.

I don't know the answer for sure, but it might not be a bad idea to work at keeping the containers grounded and bonded - especially if you are working with large quantities of fuel, plastic containers, and/or transporting containers in a truck bed with a plastic liner.

Yeah,  you'll want to practice safe fueling techniques regardless of fuel or amount.  I always make sure

everything's at the  same potential before pouring , whether it's to/from jerry cans or from the retail

pump to the car. 

I don't use the plastic containers much anymore. Had a pretty good scare once , drawing an arc while carrying

a 5 gal. can of Avgas. Luckily the top was closed at the time.  Really makes you reconsider what you're doing , tho... 

From what I've seen gasoline and ethanol are under the same hazardous location classification.

It is always a good idea to place a portable fuel container on the ground first before fueling so that any static charges can be discharged.

I picked up a 5 gal container of Avgas from the back of my truck, walked over to

the plane to dump into a wing tank ( a Cherokee 6) , and while moving to unscrew the

gas cap !!SNAP!!  It had to be more than 500 volts..  About what you get after walking

across a carpet floor and touching a doorknob..