Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

This is why we need blender pumps

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/22/clouds-hover-in-ethanol-sky/

Overall a good article but this line sticks out at me

Read this out loud ...

"he fuel pumped into Anderson's Chevy likely was fermented at Yuma Ethanol, a new plant in Yuma, which is east of Fort Morgan. It then was transported to Denver for blending with gasoline before being trucked to the gas station"

..what a waste of transport fuel just to get the "blend"  Thats an expense that has to go. Getting rid of that extra transportation to blend stage must mean keeping tens of thousands of hours of pavement beating (taxpayer funded roads) trucks off the road , that one less step saves in labor costs , time costs , administrative cost and would save consumers at the pump ..the only people who could logically appose it.. the petroleum based blenders

Alot of other interesting things in the article

Pretty good article. I have winter wheat planted right now that I hope makes it through the winter. If it doesn't then I'll put corn on those acres. Winter wheat is very rare around here.

This article was mentioned at the meeting. It turned out better than I thought, but still can't stand fear mongering titles. I'm starting to wonder if editors are possibly more responsible for things like that. Farmers and their abilities are more important than the corn. Cellulosic ethanol crops, especially dryland varieties, just might be a more stable investment if returns are their worry. The caveat is proving its viability on a large scale first.

Can a corn processing plant be converted, even partially, to processing switchgrass?

I can see how sending those trucks straight to the blender pump locations would save a lot. That's damn good thinking, Dan :D.

The other question is can corn ethanol plants gradually shift to mixed feed stock such as blending sugar beets into the feed stream during the part of the season when the beets mature, or over the winter etc.

A mature ethanol production infrastructure would not (should not) be tied to a sole supply feed stream.

Larry