Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

Here we go again...the newsman says "BOO!"

Guys, Poet is going to show us how to get an extra couple of hundred gallons of ethanol for every acre of corn that is planted in the U.S. by processing the cobs, and part of the Stover.  With 90 Million Acres that could come out to somewhere between 10 and 20 Billion Gallons.

BTW, they were supposed to start construction on the Cellulosic Project at their Voyager Plant this Winter; has anyone heard anything, recently, on this.

Whatever happened to this?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071016101454.htm

Couldn't they combine this with the cellulosic treatment on the rest of the plant after extracting the sugars and come out way ahead?

These "studies" garner "grants" and the "studies" seem to last until the flow of money stops.  It is a very interesting idea and seems so logical ...I dont understand why we dont do alot of things..people afraid to step outside thier comfort zones?  Would there be any regulations against planting tropical maize?

I see something going on around here, right now, that I wonder about. We have an ice layer covered by a little snow and I see hog manure being applied broadcast on top. Looks like being between a rock and a hard place---the hog building pit is full and what do you do with it. If anything could end up in the Gulf, that could.

Cessna- that is just the kind of thing that should never happen. In the late 70's and early 80's I designed a few hog confinement sytems- always designed for > 6 months of manure storage so that farmer should be able to inject or quickly till in the waste. If these guys have that much storage, then their time mgt is lacking and everyone else will end up paying for it. (or there will be a spring fish kill nearby and it will get tracked back to them). My bet is that they only bought 3 months worth of storage to save money and did not spread after the late crops came off--this is why some states started requiring cropping plans.

I'm going to do some checking. Iowa does have manure management plans with teeth. You have to soil test in grids and put on so many gallons of analyzed (for N and P) manure and no commercial fertilizer.

Cessna,

sounds like Iowa needs to get going on anaerobic digestor tax incentives..

I think we have that here in Colorado in the form of  grant money. We also have

regulations regarding  hog farm operations, but that might be for aroma considerations..

Either way , you get to make lemonade out of lemons!