Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GT-Labs

Come up with questions for the governor's town hall meeting!

Recommended Posts

I can't get a conversion or retune approved without compromising and satisfying regulations. That's my point for going. I just won't sit at the same negotiating table with willing people and wag my finger at them and tell them what to do. THAT's how you get thrown in jail  :D!

 

Running a "market" is someone else's expertise other than mine. My limits are that I'm an engineer at heart and politics are less of a priority but still a necessary evil. I can't wish them away just like they can't wish any of us away. It's really a two way street. To the best we can tell initially, I met all the requirements and I think it'll come down to EPA approval for my conversion method. How do you certify finishing the factory's work? It's almost like I took an LEV standard vehicle and moved it's emissions profile upward while satisfying the regulations as well. 

 

The law itself is different than how it gets interpreted for media digestion in 500 words or less. Big oil and car manufacturers had a hand in making the laws on the books because they had the most technical resources and expertise. Citizens and representatives still had a hand in how these laws were written, though. At the very least, negotiation and compromise doesn't look impossible on the issue of a conversion or retune. I'm not really in a position to judge an entire industry's ethical practices. I just know who was sitting at the same table with me yesterday had concerns of their own. We all still ultimately answer to the EPA anyway. Playing by the rules AND beating the regulations just makes it look that much better :D.

 

The best I can tell, I actually did satisfy regulations and make an E85 car, but had to start with the right platform. The regulations built into the car made it happen with the pre-existing LEV standards. EPA approval is really the only thing left. I took the factory's 95% completed work and did the other 5%. There's no "kit" because I'd just be giving them factory parts that are in fact higher emissions standard parts from the factory. Plenty of other people have done the same thing, too. In the right context with the right chassis, a dedicated E85 car using 100% factory parts looks very doable even politically and not just technologically. Debating how an industry should run isn't really my bag of tricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cessna- each side of the pump has an ethanol input line, meter, and valve (in that sequence) plus a gas input line, meter, and valve--now both drop into a manifold going to three valves, each one leading to a hose. Dispenser is programmed for the mix for each product. Customer pays, selects product, computer opens the valve leading to the correct hose and begins watching the two meters and controlling the flow from each with the valve at each meter by opening and closing them. ;)

 

Pump blends are set via a keypad inside the dispenser. The pump tech cuts a lead seal (certification for state agencies to show who set the blend), swipes a Gilbarco programming card in the card reader (to enable the keypad), flips the switch the lead seal was protecting, types in on the keypad the blend ratio for each hose position, flips the switch back to normal, applies a new lead seal, warm reboots the dispenser via the main outside (customer) keypad to lock the blend in, and now both sides of this dispenser (all six hoses) are ready to go in less than 5 minutes. Now my guys move in and do a phase separation H2O test to insure the pump tech did not program the blend in reverse- this will be done while the tech moves on to the next dispenser island. BTW- guess what we do with the water/fuel test samples?- into our flex fuel cars with e85 in the tank. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks 1outlaw, I take it this solves the problem some people might have with the single hose setup----getting a little bit of whatever fuel the previous customer pumped since it might have been a different blend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cessna- Yes- the multiple hose setup pleases regulators. The only time the one hose blender was any concern was a 1 gallon or less E10 sale following a summer blend e85 sale -- the hose holds less than what one might think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...