Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Another question for 1outlaw

A guy that is generally against ethanol and aircraft surprised me with this post today on an airplane forum I like. Is he right or pulling my leg? He's up at Crookston MN.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention earlier: Yesterday I filled my vehicle (which is a flex fuel vehicle) up with E-85 at a local station. The pump for the E-85 is on the same island as the one for gasoline. I couldn't help but notice that the HOSE on the E-85 pump was a different color, and had a different number on it than the hose for the auto gas (which here has 10% etoh). Also, the alcohol hose was REALLY stiff as a goat in the -10 degree temps. I picked up the gasoline nozzle, and that hose was much more flexible, so it is apparent that the gas stations are using very different compounds of rubber for the high alcohol content fuel.

Some do use a blue hose for E85 to distinguish it as a different product. In the beginning we all used methanol hoses because no one would claim to the govt that a standard hose would not break down inside or have issues connector corrosion. Since then E85 specific equip has been made. Often a standard hose and nozzle work better than the methanol ones. Methanol vapor recovery nozzles did not work for me at all- they would leak in the first month (and cost $350) while a standard gas vapor recovery nozzle on E85 typically lasts until someone crashes into it or the trigger spring breaks. I use black ethanol hoses which I suspect are the same rubber compounds as gas but with different ends (sometimes)- cant buy 6" whip hoses so they are standard gas. Out of 48 hoses I have only replaced one and it was an early methanol (M85) hose that got stiff and cracked after 2 years in the sun- similar life to some "farm" hoses. If your guy noticed a difference- it was most likely due to the difference between a "hardwall" curb hose and a "softwall" hose- both are available for gas but only "hardwall" is available for ETOH.