Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

3 of the 4 engines tested got better mileage on ethanol

it would absolutly do no harm.  I'd bet that you would no doubt notice the difference in performance, with minimal milage loss up to an extent.

Many of these cars (acura and lexus) are made for higher octane, and actually like premium over regular unleaded.  So I'd guess that you are correct that the 105 octane e85 would be appreciated by the engine.

I'd recomend splashblending (as discussed often on here in many threads) as your best bet. 

Put in a gallon of e85, then top of with regular gas or e10 (which ever is cheaper)...  Drive this tank.

If you don't get any CELs and the performance is good... try two gallons of e85, repeat.

We have a calculator on here that allows you to pretty accurately tell what your ethanol% content is in your tank.

Keep adding e85 until you get a CEL.  Then put in some regular gas to back the %alcohol back down... and get the CEL reset at your nearest auto parts store for free...

This is how most people get into e85.

After a few years of this you will LOVE e85, and will be wishing you could fill up on full tank fulls... so you will either convert your current vehicle with a converter kit, or you will make your next auto purchase a FFV.  I splash blended for 2-3 years, then did both... Converted my old commuter car, and replaced the family car with a "newer" FFV.

No gasoline has been purchased in this household for close to 1 1/2 years!  I've been splash blending with my lawnmower, and am working on converting it to run strait e85... but that is a different thread.

Welcome to the board.  Feel free to pipe in and contribute.

Don't forget to post prices at e85prices.com

I have a '99 Acura TL(3.2L V-6). Would an occasional dose of 2-4 gallons of E85 hurt or help the engine. The octane boost from unleaded premium is easily felt. I can only imagine what 105 octane E85 would do.

I dont think it would do a thing but give you great performance.    These cars can handle this whats been spread out there by the anti ethanol group is pure garbage,  we have been running  large doese of ethanol for years.

Likely true, but consider a pop quiz for a second:

Would you rather get 27 mpg on fuel which costs $3.92 per gallon or 22 mpg on fuel which costs 3.19?

Actually, in this case, they are virtually identical.  People get way too fixated on 'mileage' or 'mpg'.  Getting a little less 'mpg' shouldn't really an issue as long as the fuel is priced at a discount to make the lower mpg fuel equal or even cheaper to operate the vehicle.

Secret answer is above.

Likely true, but consider a pop quiz for a second:

Would you rather get 27 mpg on fuel which costs $3.92 per gallon or 22 mpg on fuel which costs 3.19?

Actually, in this case, they are virtually identical.  People get way too fixated on 'mileage' or 'mpg'.  Getting a little less 'mpg' shouldn't really an issue as long as the fuel is priced at a discount to make the lower mpg fuel equal or even cheaper to operate the vehicle.

Secret answer is above.

Do I get at least three guesses,    ok I give up lol.

LOL - you can click your mouse around the '3.19' and drag down to highlight the 'secret'

I think the quote in the original article was 'gets better mileage than the BTU difference would suggest' - which seems to indicate the 'mpg' may still go down, but the fuel is burning more efficiently and offsetting some of the loss.  IIRC, there was a 'best case' around E30.