Sign in to follow this  
furball64801

E-85 made out of Coors Beer

Coors has a waste-stream pipeline to Commerce City, the last I heard. What was in the special?

They're mixing E10 with about 1-2 million gallons of waste ethanol per year, FWIH. It's not as much as you might think, but it's useful and supports local fuelling efforts.

Sorta disapointed it was so short.  They did the Coors thing and then featured  Saab cars running E-85 and a race against a stadard gas car.  Well we all know the E-85 car won the race.  They said European cars are really ahead of US, like we didn't know that.

We get off spec beer offered to us from time to time. Problem for us is we never get enough data about why it is off spec and thus it can screw us up. Coors however would know what they have and can do well using their waste.

They have been running a fuel ethanol plant for a couple years now (2005), the original was rated at 1.5 million gal/year and last I looked they were bringing another 1.5 mg/y on line. They had several unfortunate incidents with dumping bad beer into Clear Creek (that is the way they used to deal with it years ago).

One of those incidents cost them a ton of money due to a fish kill. They put in the ethanol operation  not long after that got all sorted out, so I think it was one of those value add operations that became obvious once they took a fresh look at how they were doing things. If you add up the total beverage ethanol production nation wide and  what they could gain by skiming fuel ethanol off of their waste products I am surprised we do not see more of it.

http://cbs4denver.com/business/Colorado.News.Denver.2.544101.html

Larry