Sign in to follow this  
Fredness

E85 Safe Injectors

I'm actually using generic WRX 440 injectors on my RS, not Fords. 1200-1600cc Ford injectors are pretty popular for E85 on high boost 4 bangers. Just up your injector capacity 30% and you should be fine. Your o2 sensors dial in the mixture. A reflash will help you run gasoline if you can adjust the IDC values. Turn them down for gas on larger injectors instead of running smaller injectors harder for ethanol. It's sorta like making 3 rights to make a left ;).

At present?  The MAF tables, O2 sensor and LTFT readings.  Ford uses the MAF Transfer Function Tables to compute fuel.  The O2's provide feedback to adjust the long term fuel trims (LTFT) which adjusts the mixture accordingly.  So, if I set the AFR to 14.63 and run 20% E85, I get an LTFT of 1.27 (27% lean, so the computer adds 27% more fuel).  If I dial in a 14.13, the LTFT's zero out.  It's a checks and balances procedure to keep the vehicle running in the event of a MAF failure and/or O2 failure(s).

This all assumes that the MAF tables are correct (dead on, dozens of hours of data logging), the MAF is clean (spotless), and the O2 sensors are accurate (check!). 

Once I get the Focus on the dyno, I'll be able to tweak the WOT AFR, since the Ford PCM doesn't use the O2's in WOT, it is all MAF table.

Sorry...

I like it, it does just what I need.  Tuning for E85 has been pretty cut and dry.  Just waiting to get the mixture right for each 10% level up to straight E85, then I'll start working on the timing tables.

What REALLY impresses me at the moment is the low RPM load abilities of Ethanol.  I can load the engine at 1,000RPM's and it just goes, no bucking, no pinging, no stall...  Wow.