Sign in to follow this  
Greengenes

New concepts in aviation include ethanol fuel

Cessna-

Did you get a chance to see this while at OSH?? 

Nice to see there is more than just passing interest in ethanol

as a more mainstream motor fuel.. 

I presume the folks from SDSU were there at the convention as well..

Wondering if they have support from one of the major ethanol providers in SD..

VeraSun maybe ??

No I missed that Sonex display. Three of the RV's that the Vanguard team from South Dakota fly using close to 100% ethanol were there but never saw anybody to talk to. The sign on the prop said 20 years and 1000 hours using ethanol. I think National Corn Growers is cutting back on research money so Jim Behnken(SDSU) wasn't there with an airplane using AGE-85. I was able to talk to Jack Johnson(Texas Skyways) about the AGE85 engine option he has for a plane like mine but they didn't have the ethanol engine there either. I did show  Texas Skyways and the ECI cylinder guy an aircraft sparkplug that has been running on E10 with .75% biodiesel mixed in for a while and think they were impressed how clean it was.

I saw that on the DTN yesterday. Sounds like the airplane fuel is something different that ethanol. It said the new fuel (Swift 523) can power an aircraft 15% to 25% longer than leaded av gas. Any idea what the composition of this fuel is?

Marty

Yes Dan- that 1996 work was what I was thinking of. If I remember at the time they said that while it was very efficient at wide open fixed output, but efficiency dropped off in light load? The statement at the time was it might be most appropriate for fixed load- if so- maybe the hybrid application makes sense to store excess available power into batteries in an off/on mode.