Sign in to follow this  
erbo

Subaru Materials Degradation

Fact of note: My new Walbro makes NO noise like my old Walbro. The older models had a whine to them that got worse as they got older. A lot of 255s did it, too. What changed? You could hear them internally over any exhaust at idle but mine is about factory quiet. Larry knows that Walbro whine also, that's why I mention it.

I was watching my fuel pressure with large injectors on the stock pump. Under throttle, pressure would drop. Now with the new Walbro, it rises with RPM. 35psi before. 50psi after. It's much happier with a larger pump and the higher fuel pressure that comes with it. The torque is wide and flat like a V-engine or inline 6. It's like the car was made for this fuel. My garage walls tremble and oscillate when the car idles. That oversquare thump is lovely :).

hotrod, thanks for your answer.

If there were to be issues with the fuel pump on e85, what would be the most likely cause? The lack of lubrication? Or, the overworking of the fuel pump? Because from my little research on this subject, I've heard people bring up both points on why a fuel pump might fail on e85.

They just wear out faster and have slight corrosion issues, so the expectation is that they will fail more or less normally at slightly earlier point in time. Stock pumps last for upwards of 150,000-200,000 miles, the walbro's in E85 usage have already see in excess of 40,000 miles on some cars. Even if they all fail at 50,000 miles it is no big deal as a $100 fuel pump every 4-5 years is not a catastrophic issue. The simple fact is that they may be wearing but so far none of us has had one in use long enough for it to die, so we are only speculating.

The stock pumps die from over heating if users constantly run at near empty fuel tanks and or run very high boost pressures so that is a normal form of failure due to abuse even on gasoline. The walbro examination on my pump found very slight corrosion on some electrical contacts. Their ethanol rated pumps they sell in Brazil use different materials in some components like the commutator.

Larry

How about the subaru fuel tanks.  What material are these made of?  I have a 2002 forester.  I heard that ethanol and aluminum are not compatible.  Does anyone know what the fuel tank is made of?  Is it coated with some coating in any way?

Thanks for the input,

Jorge.

My WRX is a steel tank and last time I pulled the fuel pump the tank looked like it was new, the inside was spotless like it just came off the assembly line. Not sure what if anything is used as a coating in the tank but no signs of any problems. Tern coating may not be used much any more since it contains lead but I cannot say for sure if there is a rust preventive coating applied. It does not look like a hot dip coating on the tank but like clean cold rolled steel.

Larry

Gas Tanks ..all the different types and what does hold up with ethanol ... http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic,194.0.html

My WRX is a steel tank and last time I pulled the fuel pump the tank looked like it was new, the inside was spotless like it just came off the assembly line. Not sure what if anything is used as a coating in the tank but no signs of any problems. Tern coating may not be used much any more since it contains lead but I cannot say for sure if there is a rust preventive coating applied. It does not look like a hot dip coating on the tank but like clean cold rolled steel.

Larry