Sign in to follow this  
erbo

Subaru Materials Degradation

Guest colchiro

Hi erbo. Your shoes are probably water resistant, but can they stand up to walking in an inch of water every day (are they waterpoof)?

Time will tell. You've probably already been warned about changing out the gas filter after 1000 miles or so. Down the road, you may have an issue with a fuel pump or you might be good. It'd be nice if someone had a database with issues so as other Subaru owners had issues, you could have a little warning.

How's your mileage compare with e85?

In response to mileage, I have not had the luxury to be able to fill up with e85 - have always had to add some petrol due to lack of stations.  Will let you know but am expecting a minimum of 15% reduction.

Are there any concerns with the degradation of seals, gaskets, fuel lines, etc. with E85?

Not that I have heard of, I've been running E85 and high ethanol blends in my Subaru WRX for almost 5 years now. There are dozens of Subaru's running high ethanol blends or straight E85 with no reported problems regarding compatability.

It'd be nice if someone had a database with issues so as other Subaru owners had issues, you could have a little warning.

You mean like these links and 45 page subaru E85 faq?

http://www.gt-labs.net/readersrides.html

http://www.gt-labs.net/conversionchart.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

Larry

I just installed a FullFlex unit and my 2000 Outback runs great.  Are there any concerns with the degradation of seals, gaskets, fuel lines, etc. with E85?

erbo:

What fuel injector connectors did you have to specify when you ordered the Fullflex kit?  I looked at Fullflex for my 2002 Subaru Forester, but I don't know which connectors to specify.

Thanks,

Jorge.

Guest colchiro

I would think you have to unplug the electrical connector that goes to your injector and match your connector to pictures of connectors on their web site. This is to identify what connectors they need to include with your unit so it plugs into your connectors and injectors.

You also might need to identify polarity with a voltmeter (if asked).

subaru uses denso injectors as I recall but I don't have access to my ref materials right now.

As above each manufacturer uses a unique connector plug. You should just have to match the plug style to what you see on your car. Subaru uses two different styles of injectors. Most of them use what is called a top feed where the fuel rail sits on top of the injector. Some recent models use what is called a side feed injector which is more short and squat in appearence.

Here is a picture of both the top feed and side feed styles. Witchhunter will clean and flow test your injectors for a very nominal cost if you want to upgrade to larger injectors they can help you find larger injectors for the subaru engine family.

http://www.witchhunter.com/subarumod1.php4

Larry

Down the road, you may have an issue with a fuel pump or you might be good.

Now, what issues might one experience with the fuel pump? Lack of lubrication? or the overworking of the fuel pump because the of the extra fuel that is required to run the car on ethanol?

Just curious to know the answer.

Thanks

So far we are seeing essentially no issues with fuel pumps. They seem to last just about as long on E85 in real world use, as they do on gasoline. In fact Walbro one of the major pump manufactures asked some of us to send them our fuel pumps to try to figure out why they were lasting so long.

Larry