30 replies to this topic

#1 jeepn30

jeepn30

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

I have a 2013 Model S with the 85kw battery.  On a daily charge (which they recommend) at 90% I have 229 rated miles.  On a full charge, it is currently 255.  In the winter it is less because you use battery to heat the car (no waste heat from a conventional engine), and may lose about 25% range in the winter.  Range is never an issue because I plug in my car every night and wake up with my battery at 90% charge.  I feel this is the one thing that most people overlook, is that you refuel your car at home. 

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic w/ FFI conversion kit
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L Pentastar

#2 Billyk24

Billyk24

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

What model Tesla do you drive?  What is the range before it needs to be plugged in.  I'm 33 miles north of Pittsburgh, spent time in Aurora Illinois before moving for life's work which could end anywhere from one month to three years.  It is only 498 miles from where I live to my old living location.

#3 jeepn30

jeepn30

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

I've had my Tesla for a year and a month now.  I've put 21,000 enjoyable miles on it.  No issues with it, and it works like it should.  It sucks when you have to bring the wife's van to the gas station and fill up when you're not used to it.  Had a plastic piece fail and shoot engine coolant all over the engine bay of the van.  Just another reason to look forward to getting her an electric vehicle when the time comes.  I love all the negative misinformation articles about Tesla by people who want to short the stock or have big oil interests.  No different than the misinformation anti-ethanol posted stuff.  Interesting to see all these companies promising electric cars in a few years that will be "a Tesla killer".  I believe it when I see it.  Tesla has done well for themselves because of the infrastructure they have built.  That will be the big challenge for others to get into the electric game.  I drove my Tesla to Pennsylvania in late August to visit friends.  It couldn't be easier, as I plugged the address in navigation, and it routed me there through the superchargers, also telling me about how long I need to charge to get to the next supercharger (with about 10 to 15% extra charge).  It took me about 15 hours to get there (the fastest I've ever made it in a gas car was 12 hours).  The longest charging time I had to stay at any of the chargers was 40 minutes.  What I didn't realize is how great the car is in mountainous terrain.  It goes up hills much easier than a standard car, and you don't have to ride your brakes down big mountains because of regenerative braking.  I believe this will be a big plus with the Tesla semi slated to come out in a few years.  I see the model 3 production has been pushed back a bit; this doesn't surprise me at all looking at their track record.  Once they get on track with that production, BMW and Mercedes are going to get hurt in sales with the 3 series and C class respectively.  I feel that Elon Musk should be spending more time making sure the Model 3 production bottlenecks get fixed, as this is the company's make or break car in my opinion. 

#4 Billyk24

Billyk24

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

Telsa to delay ramping up production for four months as issues exist.  I believe delays at the new battery factory and the highly automatic factory are leading factors for this delay.   Is it correct that Model 3 has nearly 500,000 pre-production deposits?

Edited by Billyk24, 01 November 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#5 fleebut

fleebut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

AAA '17 report on cost of vehicles per class. Electric was the highest cost per mile due to high purchase cost and high depreciation. Fuel costs made up for some of it. Maintenance for vehicles is not that big a deal anymore. They make vehicles better and with low maintenance. Another thing hurting the battery car is the low cost of fuel and the every higher mpg ratings. Emissions are steadily decreasing for this technology as well. Ethanol to the rescue to lower fuel carbon rating. Carbon rating of ethanol -34% currently over plain gasoline and expected to go aver -70% in 2020. And by the way the rating does include the bogus ILUC penalty, so in reality add -22% or so. So, the plain low cost ICE vehicle may do just as well in the future for environment concerns. The battery car needs cheap, lighter, and more powerful batteries. They need a breakthrough battery technology. It may happen and car manufacturers are betting that that vehicles will nonetheless utilize more battery power and will go more to electric drive. I do think most are thinking hydrogen will be the ultimate battery. 

#6 Billyk24

Billyk24

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

The other issue is Tesla will be charging customers to "charge-up" their vehicle.  But at what price and how does this compare to liquid fuel?   Gee, would it be "safer" to obtain a hybrid with electric range in the three digit numbers plus an ICE than purely electric vehicle?  OOPs, this/these cars don't exist yet.

#7 jeepn30

jeepn30

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

Well the model 3 has finally been released.  My spot in line is pretty close to the beginning of the queue, starting as soon as October.  I don't think I can pull the trigger, though, because I love my Model S too much, and can't afford both.  It's been interesting seeing the feedback from the car.  I see a bunch of people that are mad because a well optioned car costs a bunch more than 35k.  I look at that as no different than a new BMW 3 series or Mercedes C class; they nickel and dime you to death with options.  I am very interested in test driving one, as the minimalist interior is very intriguing.  500,000 preorders now, so we shall see how well they can ramp up production.  I believe infrastructure will be the key in making this car be a success.  If the service centers and superchargers are overloaded too much, Tesla will not fare well.  It will be interesting to see how they fare with the average customer, as most of their customers up until now have been very forgiving of Tesla's shortcomings because they had bought into Tesla's vision.  This is their make or break chance.

#8 TD

TD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

Most EV's warm or cool the battery as needed when plugged in. Charging will warm the battery in the winter, but might require cooling in the summer.

Town Drunk

#9 Billyk24

Billyk24

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

The Tesla and Volt both have a dedicated heating and cooling system for the hybrid battery pack.   I believe both can use engine waste heat to help with colder temperatures.  If my hybrid battery temperature is too cold, then the MPG go down significantly and it takes a continuous driving to elevate the battery temperature in true winter conditions.

Edited by Billyk24, 20 January 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#10 fleebut

fleebut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

I think Tesla made a big mistake with Solar City purchase. Also, the giga factory is troubling. I was in the field to make manufacturing cost estimates. Also, had much success within efficiency and cost reduction for process. Same with quality improvements, but within medium to small manufacturing. Some welding robots and a lot of computer controlled equipment. Anyways, I find it hard to understand what the Giga factory would accomplish. Automation is best achieved by large automotive whom have decades of experience with integrating and even developing equipment. Tesla would not have an advantage with scale here. So, why didn't large automotive go into the battery business? Because they are an auto supply company and soon to be a transportation company. More so in current times, the components of the car are quickly becoming off the shelf supplier route. Current auto companies purchase most of the hardware as that is the cheapest, highest quality path to building a car. Sure, they continue to manufacture their own sheet metal, engines, and transmissions as that continues to be the hallmark of brand loyalty. Consider, over the road trucks once manufactured all their components. Now, they all purchase Dana, Cummings, Eaton, etc components and assemble within their fiberglass body. These truck manufacturers had to do this to keep in business as to maximize value and quality. Automotive is following the same path. 

It looks to me that Tesla is hedging. They appear not to be fully invested within automotive production. If that should falter, they will have the giga factor or plain (solar panel) real estate. The BEV will probably follow the heavy truck supply route. The motor, battery, transmission, etc. probably not brand identified. The competition will be who has the most appealing aesthetic vehicle, best balance of cost and function. Prices and quality may not be that competitive as they all look and operate alike.      

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

E85 Mobile APP