gasisoutrageous

Of all people, I accidentally "misfueled" with #E15

So this is an oddball. I've said that I would sooner drink gasoline than put it in my car. So naturally, I don't take to it too terribly well when gasoline - especially BP-branded gasoline - makes it into my car's tank. I drive an average of 50,000 miles per year, so I felt like doing a price run in the Thumb of Michigan, which rarely receives spotlight from the ethanol community abroad. I got caught in an April snowstorm that clobbered the Thumb on the afternoon and evening of Saturday, the 2nd. I decided to get fuel at the BP in Bad Axe. This is not something I can recall doing before. After getting fuel, I had to walk in to get a copy of my receipt. I immediately noticed that the fuel purchased read "E15". I mentioned something to the cashier, who said she'd say something to the station owner. Not long after I got fuel, I realized that there was no way for me to make it home, so I got snowed in. post-2293-0-57834100-1460422394_thumb.jpeg

While in my hotel room, I realized that I got E15.

The thumb region, when it is mentioned, is consistently known for price spreads so negative, you wonder why they bother to sell E85. In just the two times I've been up there this month, I've seen several FFVs fill with gasoline. That night, I realized that the E85 and E15 stickers had been switched. Even though this station had a negative spread, it didn't occur to me when I pulled up to the pump and saw the cheaper price next to an E85 sticker. I'm used to decent price spreads where I live. I quickly diluted it the next day with E85.

See how I got confused?

post-2293-0-31947200-1460422255_thumb.jpegpost-2293-0-04701100-1460422280_thumb.jpegpost-2293-0-47740600-1460422306_thumb.jpeg

post-2293-0-47283900-1460422437_thumb.jpeg

It has since been addressed, and the E85 price was lowered a bit.

post-2293-0-90340700-1460422473_thumb.jpegpost-2293-0-13614700-1460422490_thumb.jpeg

Here thankfully, the pricing has remained quite competitive, even for stations which don't have a direct supply deal in place. So that's not as much a concern in my neck of the woods thankfully... except for as mentioned, the thumb.

As for running with some gasoline, that's not actually true. At least in this part of the country, natural gasoline is used as the hydrocarbon. Now, this BP at the heart of this subject is supplied by Corrigan Oil which is based out of Brighton - about 45 miles to my southeast. So I really don't know where exactly Corrigan gets their ethanol, what the blending levels and feedstocks are, and how much they themselves are paying to receive the fuel and distribute it. I'd like to get in touch with Corrigan, and it would be immense if they could work with the ethanol plant in Lake Odessa.