TD

Anyone have a Chevy Volt running on E85?

I decided I'd like to upgrade from a hybrid vehicle to a Chevy Volt. I like, no LOVE the idea of 36 to 50 miles (2016 model) of EV range at speeds up to 80 mph before switching to the ICE. Most hybrids can't do much over 40 mph without the ICE kicking in. And you can't sneeze at the 37 mpg highway mileage (50 expected on the 2016 model).

Early Volt models required premium with a 10.5:1 CR, but the 2016 has 12.5:1 with direct injection, yet runs on regular unleaded, due to EGR. Either one would be a great candidate for E85, although some users have 2k miles on the ODO with half of the original tank of gas remaining. I'm not sure about the 2016 model with direct injection and aluminum block, but the older ones said premium gas only with up to E15 allowed.

As much as I'd LOVE to have the direct injected 2015 model with the larger, lighter battery, possibly cheaper price and longer EV range, I suspect I'll be lucky to get a 2013 model, due to my wife retiring in a few months and having to live on one income and trying to sell her townhouse.... But it looks like I could trade up to one with about $5k to boot so about $500 a month for a year. I suspect I could pull that off, but there's that little voice from my wife screaming, "NOOOOOOOO!".... :huh:

Yep emissions..   Very good read..

GM's first batch of the 2011 Chevy Volt may not have E85 capability, though the company promises later versions will.

Updated to add comments from General Motors.

The first batch of General Motors' Chevy Volt 2011 plug-in hybrid cars will not be compatible to run E85, a blend of gas and ethanol.

Tom Stephens, GM's vice chair for global product development, called for more government support of ethanol and a need for more E85 stations during his Tuesday speech at the Renewable Fuels Association conference in Florida. Stephens mentioned that early editions of the 2011 Chevy Volt may not be E85 compatible, several news outlets have reported.

Tony Posawatz , vehicle line director for the Chevy Volt, confirmed the same notion on the leading Chevy Volt blog on Wednesday.

"We are finalizing some of our options and the associated timing that goes with them. The E85-capable emission package will have its timing finalized soon. It will not be available for November 2010," Posawatz told GM-Volt.com.

On Thursday evening GM officially confirmed that all the off-the-cuff comments were indeed true.

"Flex-fuel availability for Volt at launch has been delayed. The decision is based in part on the Volt rollout plan to California, Washington D.C., and Michigan. Of the three launch markets, only Michigan, with more than 60 E85 ethanol pumps, has any significant availability. California has a handful of stations and the D.C. has only one or two," Alan Alder, GM's news relations manager, said in an e-mail to CNET.

"Also, the price of E85 is presently uncompetitive vs. gasoline," said Adler.

The news is a little shocking to those who've followed the Volt and GM closely. The company has been very publicly supportive of E85 and has been investing in flex-fuel technology for its cars for some time. GM has also long maintained that the Chevy Volt would be a flex-fuel vehicle as well as a plug-in hybrid.

Posawatz told CNET specifically in April 2009 that the 2011 Volt, in addition to being a plug-in hybrid, would also be a flex-fuel vehicle  capable of running on either gasoline or E85.

Adler also said that GM has not yet decided when the Volt may be "flex-fuel capable."

http://www.cnet.com/news/first-chevy-volt-cars-will-not-be-e85-ready/

You know the routine though.. fill it up with about E60 and you'll be fine 

I read in one of the forums (after filtering out all the negative posts) that E40's was doable, but not much more than that, but again, I don't know what year was being discussed. I'm hoping to check out one or two on Friday with a '13 about $5k and a newer, low mileage '14 for about $7 more than what KBB says my trade is worth. 2012 was a stinker for problems and I turned one of those down.

This time I like the idea of going with larger jets for the first time. Trouble is finding out the current size, figuring how much more to go based on first lean code and where to get them. I've always gone the conversion route, then had to remove it to get warranty or maintenance service. ~ 5 minutes to R&R.

2016 is supposed to get a better, lighter battery and an aluminum block, direct injection engine (5 seats, 50 mile range, 50 mpg). Boy I wish I could swing that. As it is my wife will kill me if she sees me bring one home, but I figure now is better than after she retires (2 months), sells her townhouse and wants to buy a house again.

All models have some neat features, like forcing the ICE to kick in to burn off fuel if it's over a year old and oil sensors based on oil quality. I've read of people with 2000 miles on the odo and still half of the original gas in the tank. Lots of neat tech. Too bad they couldn't put in a little ethanol sensor.... :huh:

Edited by TD

All models have some neat features, like forcing the ICE to kick in to burn off fuel if it's over a year old a

That's really good idea.. was always a concern I had running E85 (or any fuel as far as tats concerned) in a Volt and having it sit for maybe 6 months to a year .. Yeah I like that idea.. stale fuel not good

Checked my Scangauge last night and it said I had room for 7 gallons of gas. Did some quick math on my ethanol calculator and that was about E35 so I figured I'd remove my conversion today. I only know of one station for sure that has E0 so went there to fill and managed to squeeze in 8 gallons so now E33 and my conversion is off. Also removed my GPS, DashDaq, Scangauge and ran it thru the carwash (the good $10 one).

Now I'm all ready for a road trip on Friday. Found a ton of base Volts w/o heated seats so only have a choice of one used '2013 that I know of between ND and the Twin Cities. (The 2012 ones were problematic according to Consumer Reports.) That means no backup camera, no nav, no leather. Can't afford all that neat stuff.... :huh:

BTW,  check out this video and drool:

The Volt "requires" 91 octane and assuming the default octanes on my ethanol calculator are correct. E30 would fit the bill. And since splash blending 1 gallon of E70 with 2 gallons of E10 gives you E30, I guess that's the plan.

You know the routine though.. fill it up with about E60 and you'll be fine 

Please read this link:  

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?48684-E85-FlexFuel-Conversion-2012-Chevy-Volt-2012-Cruze-Eco

Someone has already did what you are seeking.

Thanks Billy. Saw that the other night, but was looking for an injector part number. Came home with a loaded, low mileage '12. Would have liked newer, but by the time I added a 5 year warranty, was already over budget.

Threw 3 gallons of expensive E70 today into the 9 gallon tank and topped it off with 4.5 gallons of E10, so am a little under E30, since the existing Premium was E0. Found a post that says that E45 will result in a CEL: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?89074-Maximum-ethanol-blend-rate Also don't know what year that Volt is either, but the guy joined in 2012 so maybe the same year.

Wish I had a blender close to work or home. I think the closest one is about a 5-10 minute drive. Guess I can always fill in Alexandria tho. :)

Battery wasn't fully charged when I left the stealership so that didn't last long, but ended up with 40 mpg (on E0 Premium) on the drive to the cities. Not bad considering I was driving into the wind, but also had lots of traffic, which helps mileage.

All the controls and settings in the touch screen are going to take me a week to figure out.

Edited by TD