gasisoutrageous

Speedway E85 Store Percentage

Back in September, I began to challenge the accuracy of the consumer choice report card that was released in July. My issue is that they used only RFA/AFDC data, and did not corroborate the data with ours from E85 prices. Also, the number of convenience stores taken out of the convenience store is also out of date.

So, I decided to keep a spreadsheet to see what numbers I'd get, and be able to update it when we get new stores and new E85 listings. 

I have to double check my work, but I have 1,492 total stores according to Speedway's website... 221 of which carry E85. Before Speedway started converting Hess stores and listing them on their website, we got close to 1 in 6 Speedway stores carrying E85. The percentage has now dropped to 14.8%. This is because of the fact that none of the 47 stores in Florida are listed to carry E85. I hope this changes, for sure.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet on Google Docs. I will keep the spreadsheet updated and post updates here. I'm also working on other chains mentioned in the report card. So far, I have Meijer at 47%, not 58%.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3r0BU7WkEQVMldOc0tyTk82QWM/view?usp=sharing

Figured I'd update this number tonight. Speedway has slowed down with E85 installs lately, but they are definitely adding it to new stores and renovated stores. The number of Speedway stations has risen to 326, but because of all the non-E85 Hess stores that have been brought into the Speedway chain, the percentage of Speedway stores which has E85 has fallen to around 12%... despite the increase in the number of E85 locations.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsE4TXYLLOQFasiNsfkdpD0bSIU

Just an FYI- 

I went by the Speedway rebuild at M-59 and US-23 (Southwest corner), Hartland, Michigan.  

The new islands are in and the pumps arrived last week.  There is now an E-85 pump on one island.  This is good because there weren't any Speedways selling E-85 close by there.   

It's not open yet, but based on where they are in the construction I would say they appear to be perhaps 30 to 60 days from reopening. 

I am looking forward to the new Speedway with E85 at that location 

Just an FYI-

I went by the Speedway rebuild at M-59 and US-23 (Southwest corner), Hartland, Michigan.

The new islands are in and the pumps arrived last week. There is now an E-85 pump on one island. This is good because there weren't any Speedways selling E-85 close by there.

It's not open yet, but based on where they are in the construction I would say they appear to be perhaps 30 to 60 days from reopening.

I am looking forward to the new Speedway with E85 at that location

You're actually giving them a lot of time. I was just told by Speedway corporate that they are planning on opening this store this coming Thursday (12/22) around noon or so. I was extremely excited to learn they were going to install E85 here because as you mentioned, Livingston County is not a great county for E85. That was, I was excited until I learned that Speedway still could only be bothered to install one pump. 18 dispensers, and they could only be bothered to put E85 in at 2. You know how incredibly busy M-59 and that whole region are. Good freaking luck getting to the E85 pump. So I lost a lot of interest in that station.

That said, going off topic, Mugg and Bopps is building a new station (presumably a Sunoco) on M-59 and Clark Road, about a mile and a half east of US-23. I have confirmed with Mugg and Bopps that that store will indeed carry E85.

https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels-news-prices-analysis/fuels-news/articles/which-retailers-passed-failed-e15-e85?page=0%2C1 
Just relinking the story in question.  If you caught this article: http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles/15498/on-the-brandwagon you might have noticed Casey's General Store in there, saying that they had 40 E15 stations and 10 to 15 on the way.  I looked around for them, and added 10 of them to E85prices myself yesterday.  A lot of them were only months or even weeks old, and every single one of them also sold E85.  Given that Casey's has about 2000 locations, 40 would be a solid 2% and putting them on the way to 2.5%-2.75% of their locations selling E15, and likely will sell E85 as well.  2%, that's a D+ on the scale, working on a C-!  Anyway, chains that were getting Fs on this report cards are definitely bringing up their grades, although in a roundabout away for us E85 lovers.

E15 seems to be the skinny edge of the wedge.  Once Unleaded 88 takes off, it's not too far a leap to go to Unleaded 95 to meet the possible 95 RON standard (nevermind that the 88 in Unleaded 88 is .5*(R+M) and not RON, the branding will smooth all that over!).  How much ethanol will it have?  Beats me, E25-ish, somewhere around there.  I'm sure all those European cars designed for 95 RON will love it, though.  And that is a big market.