Sign in to follow this  
HuskerFlex

85 cent e85 at two Omaha Kum & Go's

The problem with these events are the masses just go for cheap fuel. The lines are long and the times are not good for us common working folks. I tried a few times and had to wait for 45 minutes. Its not worth it for me, the $$'s saved are burned up in fuel costs waiting for the fuel even if you shut it off and start up when the line moves the starting uses lots more fuel than idling. The intent is good, get those who wouldn't use E85 an opportunity to try it, but honestly they dont care about any of the positives of E-fuel, its just cheap gas to them. Does anyone ever have to wait for the E-85 pump when the spread is $0.60 less for E85? So what makes a $2.32 spread special? Cheap gas is the answer, its just gas to them!!

I think that they could make a much better use of these events by taking advantage of the long lines to market to this captive audience... not just handing out a bag full of coozies, magnets and brochures, maybe a key chain or small trinket.

Have their interns talking it up with folks at their window.  Maybe they could do a ethanol trivia quiz show, where you win prizes...  make the price a discount card for 10cents off your NEXT tank full of e85! 

quiz them on how ethanol is made, co-products, myth-busting questions, net-energy gain questions...  also quiz them on what other e85 stores are in a given radius...

True long term e85 folks would get to earn some more discounts.  People that were NOT true e85 folks (just looking for cheap gas)...  would leave with an education!