19 replies to this topic

#1 1outlaw

1outlaw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Quote:
"I should also point out, this is not something I've seen big oil and its supporters do, to my knowledge."

I was where you are about 30 years ago while in the fuels distribution business- the only thing I noticed they threw mud at then was ethanol. Over time I came to realize just how good they are at laying low and making it appear the general population is not wanting ethanol, or that ethanol is the cause of all sorts of ill's. The entire alternative energy industry is so dumb it lets itself be divided into wind vs solar pv. Solar pv vs solar thermal, biomass heating vs biomass liquid fuels, corn ethanol vs cellulosic, biodiesel vs corn ethanol. Oil gets the food manufacturers into the game. Oil gets -surprise- their old nemesis environmental groups needing a new fundraising cause now taking oil money via indirect paths or boiling up discontentment in uninformed public to contribute. Several environmental groups often have little more integrity than oil- they are all about fundraising- whatever it takes.

#2 James48843

James48843

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationHowell, Michigan

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

[img alt=Sun Tzu]http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1185211202p2/1771.jpg[/img] Sun Tzu > Quotes 

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    “Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.” 

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win”
    “All warfare is based on deception.”

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”
    “A leader leads by example, not by force”
    “To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.” 

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”
    “Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.”

“When strong, avoid them. If of high morale, depress them. Seem humble to fill them with conceit. If at ease, exhaust them. If united, separate them. Attack their weaknesses. Emerge to their surprise.”

“know yourself and you will win all battles”
  ―

“When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move.”
  “Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain.”
  ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

2012 Malibu 2.4 liter flex. 2004 Silverado 1500 Non-flex 4.3LV6- splashblend to E27 each time. (5 gals E85, 17 Gals E10).

EX: 2008 Chevy Impala 3.5 liter flex-fuel E85

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Location54914

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

I like to think that society is reasonable and would like fuel choice. I even believe that all of the hard working people in the petroleum industry are good.

However, when your goal is to protect your monopoly with BS instead of competing on the merits of your product is horrible IMO.

I suppose all business do this... Nobody loves free enterprise more than me. But the oil industry should have the decency to compete on the merits of what they and their product has to offer, not some ridiculous campaign of misinformation to the detriment of that same competitiveness. If the point of the benefits of clean renewable fuel gets lost in all of this, it is clearly the fault of the oil companies.

Most recently, in the early 2000's ethanol (yet again) started up and for years was a positive campaign. Only did they turn when oil made it ugly.

And I suppose I could name other industries too, prefaced with "big" such as pharma, media, etc but thats way off topic :)

Completely unmodified 2006 and 2009 Hyundai sedans, 230,000 miles between them. Splash blended to E-30 or more every fill up since I bought them both new. They still run great with no fuel system or engine issues to date. Don't believe the Braunschweiger.

#4 #1BigHero6Fan

#1BigHero6Fan

The Hiro Hamada of the ethanol world!

• PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationLansing, Michigan

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

It honestly makes me sick too. But I've adopted a new strategy with this. It all goes back to the phrase "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer". I've begun following the twitter feeds of these various pro-oil/natural gas organizations, and have been reading comments more. A way to get a leg up on the opposition is to get as far into their minds as possible. Sympathize with them for a brief moment (I know, it's hard). This way, you know potentially why they think the things that they do, and you're better prepared to respond to it. It's a lot harder to stand up to your opposition if you don't know much about them.

I should also point out, this is not something I've seen big oil and its supporters do, to my knowledge.
Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars. -Casey Kasem
E85 is less than a dollar per gallon!!!
View May thru July 2016 prices
-Alcohol belongs in cars, not humans. -Me
-2012 Dodge Charger 3.6L Pentastar V6
-Listen pal, we tell it like it is. Somebody is bugging me, I let 'em know. And yeah, maybe that's why I like animals. They tell it like it is. Woof, moo, quack. That's straight shootin'! -Frank Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond (episode: "The Bird")
-I fail to see how you fail to see that it's AWESOME! - Hiro, Big Hero 6

#5 Wintermute

Wintermute

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

This is picking up some press on KCCI's web site now too...

The comments are disheartening....  all anti-ethanol people on there so far..  I commented, but now comments are not showing up... so who knows what's going on there...

That was obviously a paid for hit-editorial.  Makes me sick... and angry.

#6 Dan M

Dan M

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationSt Cloud , Mn

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yeah Dan.... you did get the jump on this, good job. I took it over to the bad site just after I read it here and it took some time, several days in fact, for the oil shills to formulate a response.

Thanks Steve..

That really ticks me off about the AP.. the TIMING (The Obama Administration is suppose to release it's final recommendation of the RFS ..whether to pull back a few billion gallons or not any day now) of that "Article" hack Job shows that it was CLEARLY a PAID for .  Someone  had to of Paid the AP to publish that nonsense .. and that should be the real story.

#7 Steve-O

Steve-O

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Location54914

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yeah Dan.... you did get the jump on this, good job. I took it over to the bad site just after I read it here and it took some time, several days in fact, for the oil shills to formulate a response.

Completely unmodified 2006 and 2009 Hyundai sedans, 230,000 miles between them. Splash blended to E-30 or more every fill up since I bought them both new. They still run great with no fuel system or engine issues to date. Don't believe the Braunschweiger.

#8 cessna

cessna

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Landowners filled in wetlands

I know I had some wetlands on the field I just sold and they better not be messed with so I find that hard to believe,

#9 #1BigHero6Fan

#1BigHero6Fan

The Hiro Hamada of the ethanol world!

• PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationLansing, Michigan

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Well isn't it a good thing that it was leaked. Perhaps the person it had been sent to actually had a heart.

And isn't this interesting... no facts are off? Very, very, very carefully reported?

"This was just a misfire," said Paul Colford, AP's director of media relations, noting that several yet-to-be-released segments of the report will come out Tuesday as well. He denied allegations that the factual basis of the story is in question and speculation that accuracy concerns led to it being pulled. "This was very, very, very carefully reported," Colford said, and the republished version will run with only a "fix or two, a rephrasing here or there."

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars. -Casey Kasem
E85 is less than a dollar per gallon!!!
View May thru July 2016 prices
-Alcohol belongs in cars, not humans. -Me
-2012 Dodge Charger 3.6L Pentastar V6
-Listen pal, we tell it like it is. Somebody is bugging me, I let 'em know. And yeah, maybe that's why I like animals. They tell it like it is. Woof, moo, quack. That's straight shootin'! -Frank Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond (episode: "The Bird")
-I fail to see how you fail to see that it's AWESOME! - Hiro, Big Hero 6

#10 Dan M

Dan M

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationSt Cloud , Mn

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

As Far as I can tell we Broke that Story / reported the Leaked report. I posted it on E85Prices Twitter account as well ..

Anyway.... Ethanol Producers Fume Over Upcoming Wire Story

An Associated Press report published prematurely last week and quickly pulled back takes ethanol to task for its impact on conservation lands and the environment. The leaked story, which AP says will be republished Tuesday, pulled few punches concerning the biofuel that has increased demand for corn production. National Journal obtained a copy from a lobbyist.

As farmers rushed to find new places to plant corn, they wiped out millions of acres of conservation land, destroyed habitats, and polluted water supplies, an Associated Press  investigation found.

Five million acres of land set aside for conservation—more than Yellowstone, Everglades, and Yosemite National Parks combined—have vanished on Obama’s watch.

Landowners filled in wetlands. They plowed into pristine prairies, releasing carbon dioxide that had been locked in the soil.

Sprayers pumped out billions of pounds of fertilizer, some of which seeped into drinking water, contaminated rivers, and worsened the huge dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico where marine life can’t survive.

The story wasn't out for long, but it has caused a firestorm of backlash from biofuels makers and corn producers upset at how they are portrayed. "There's probably more truth in this week's National Enquirer than there is in the AP story," said the Renewable Fuels Association's Geoff Cooper on a Monday press call. Also featured on the call was Iowa farmer Leroy Perkins, a source in the AP report who said that he was deceived about the nature of the story and that his remarks were taken out of context.

"Cropland is not expanding in the United States—certainly not expanding because of the RFS," Cooper said, referring to the federal renewable-fuel standard that mandates an increasing amount of biofuels each year to be blended with the nation's gasoline supply. Cooper insisted that corn-fueled destruction of wetlands "just isn't happening."

The American Coalition for Ethanol chimed in as well. "At best, the AP article is lazy journalism, but at worst, it appears purposefully designed to damage the ethanol industry," ACE Executive Vice President Brian Jennings said in a release. "There was an incredibly reckless disregard for the truth in the handiwork of this hit-piece."

AP says the story was accidentally published early when it was sent to member publications. "This was just a misfire," said Paul Colford, AP's director of media relations, noting that several yet-to-be-released segments of the report will come out Tuesday as well. He denied allegations that the factual basis of the story is in question and speculation that accuracy concerns led to it being pulled. "This was very, very, very carefully reported," Colford said, and the republished version will run with only a "fix or two, a rephrasing here or there." He also took aim at Perkins, who he said "actually sat for hours of interviews with the AP, and he was certainly aware ... of AP's questions about ethanol." Perkins even helped arrange a flyover for AP to get an eye-in-the-sky look, Colford said.

Meanwhile, The Hill notes that Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, an Iowa native and ethanol advocate, would not say if the fuel is beneficial for the climate. "I don't know whether I can make the environmental argument, or the economic argument," Vilsack told the AP.

http://www.nationalj...-story-20131111

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

E85 Mobile APP