Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

PT Cruiser fuel pump failed

Received a email from someone that their NOT FFV PT Cruisers fuel pump pooped out after running E60 for a couple years ..guess their wife has banned him from running E85 for awhile  ;D

He's too bummed to post right now..just a heads up for other PT Cruisers that are running high blend ..not a huge deal ..just a  fuel pump but

We don't know for a fact that it was running high blend ethanol caused the failure ..but yeah it's very possible the fuel pump was working overtime trying to provide the extra flow need

How many miles at failure? How many miles before he started E60?

I wonder if a marginal pump would fail if the fuel filter was 3/4 plugged?

I'm going to file this one under "it failed so let's blame the ethanol."  It's not like nothing has ever failed on a Chrysler product before...  ???

Fuel pumps fail anyway sometimes, even on gas.  You (or your mechanic) put a new one in, with new filter(s) and keep going.  I had to do that on my old Ford Bronco 2, when it was running gas.  You know what?  I'm going to blame the gasoline.  Gasoline caused my fuel pump to fail!  You heard it here first.  ;D

Someone should look up the part number for the FFV version and regular version.  I'll bet it's the same.

I'm going to file this one under "it failed so let's blame the ethanol."  It's not like nothing has ever failed on a Chrysler product before...  ???

Fuel pumps fail anyway sometimes, even on gas.  You (or your mechanic) put a new one in, with new filter(s) and keep going.  I had to do that on my old Ford Bronco 2, when it was running gas.  You know what?  I'm going to blame the gasoline.  Gasoline caused my fuel pump to fail!  You heard it here first.  ;D

Someone should look up the part number for the FFV version and regular version.  I'll bet it's the same.

They are not the same because their is no FFV version..I'll file it under entirely possible that the base fuel pump was simply overworked for 6 years they ran high blend 

They are not the same because their is no FFV version..I'll file it under entirely possible that the base fuel pump was simply overworked for 6 years they ran high blend 

Ok you got me there, but I still have significant doubts that it wouldn't have failed anyway.

guess their wife has banned him from running E85 for awhile  ;D

Not being able to convince the wife that the problem wasn't E85 is like being too dumb to get out of jury duty.  ;D

Ok you got me there, but I still have significant doubts that it wouldn't have failed anyway.

Certainly possible it could have failed anyways rusty..just offerings a heads up for others with that model to keep an eye on it.

I tried to look up fuel pump part number for a PT cruiser, and found, over about 8 model years, about 10 different fuel pump models compatible- some for the stock engine, some for the turbo engine.  Ranged in price from just over $110 to over $300, depending on the model.

My guess is that if he is replacing his fuel pump, he ought to go with the highest output designed for the turbo engine, and take his chances that way.

Good luck.

Yeah I seen that as well James (the turbo ) and was thinking the same thing.. they have already replaced it though..

Why would Chrysler have changed the pump around so much?  Is it possible they were having problems with them?

I did go look on rockauto, shortly after I posted my previous comment, and was unable to make any sense of it.  I figured they would have standardised... nope.