Sign in to follow this  
beechcraftted

not very flattering report from Mercury Marine re E-15 use

The objective of this work was to understand the effects of running a 15% ethanol blend on outboard marine engines during 300 hours of wide-open throttle (WOT) endurance – a typical outboard marine engine durability test.

It doesn't take a rocket engineer to realize what this research's methology and what occurs in the real world are two different things. 

Not far after the objective work was stated one reads this:  "these results are not considered statistically significant"  In other words, there was no real difference between E0 and E15 results.

Page 36: Due to failures of both the E0 and E15 engines,

I doubt mainstream journalism will go over the report and report the truth.

I guess it counts to have a almost 50 year old conventional 2 stroke.  ;D

Thus Mercury told me to stay away from any kind of Ethanol (mainly because of possible material issues), I sometimes can't control whether to get straight gasoline or E10. Yet, I have been adding their additive for Ethanol blends (which by the way is way cheaper than the stuff you can buy in the local auto store) and after more than 2 years continuous use, have not experienced any issues. Let's hope it stays that way.

I just don't have anybody doing any tests on my engine. It's like not going to the doctor, there's nothing bad he can tell me.  ;)

Greetings!

These guys are either morons, or set it up to give the results they had wanted, to suit their agenda.

As was said, the damage was done by running lean.  Period.  That said, I happen to know through personal experimentation, that conventional 2 stroke oil does not mix with ethanol.  They were most likely getting oil separation, causing oil starvation in the rod bearing, causing failure.  Had they switched to an ethanol friendly oil, it would have worked just fine, aside from running lean.

If only someone had looked at this before...

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic,3076.0.html

I've got an old 2-stroke Johnson outboard in the garage, maybe I'll see about converting that come spring.  ;D

That said, I happen to know through personal experimentation, that conventional 2 stroke oil does not mix with ethanol.

E10 or E85???? I have a Lawn Boy that has used E10 for over 15 years now---I do shake the jug before fueling and the yard isn't smooth.

E10 or E85???? I have a Lawn Boy that has used E10 for over 15 years now---I do shake the jug before fueling and the yard isn't smooth.

I use E10 if nothing else is available. Conventional 2-stroke oil (Quicksilver Premium only). Never shaken anything (prefer stirred  :P), well, with the boat rocking.... Am running the old inline-six at 6,000 rpm with no issues (so far).

Most of my buddies who have oil-injected 2-strokes run them with E-10, for years now, with no issues (again, so far).

Greetings!

That was with E85.  I haven't tested with E15, nor do I intend to try.  I also never tested LawnBoy branded oil.  Who knows, maybe it would mix with E85.  However, most of the conventional oils I tried would not mix with E85, so, it stands to reason that at some point between E10 and E85 the separation will occur.  I believe, due to the failure in their test, that point might be lower than we had hoped.

Even with the wrong oil, the mowers would run for about a week, longer if I used them frequently.  However, if I let them sit for a while (couple weeks or so) the oil would separate out and go to the bottom, effectively plugging up the main fuel jet.  Usually it would manifest itself as the mower randomly dying until I cleaned out the carburetor.

Also, the Lawn Boy engine is very forgiving in terms of oil ratios and fuel.  If I tried half the stuff I tried with the Lawn Boy with a more picky motor, like the one in the test, most likely I would have blown it up, much as they did.  It's possible that your oil is partially separating and you never know it.