Sign in to follow this  
Bow

Fuel Line Heater.... Might be what I need?

You can find the Kat's heaters on Amazon in a couple of different sized and wattages.  They make one that's 500 Watts...  I would imagine that would be more than enough to heat up just about any oil-pan.

One of the reviewers recommended also purchasing some HighTemp RTV Silicon sealant (like they use on Gaskets) to seal the edges of the pad.  He said it makes them last a lot longer and keeps stuff from getting between the pad and the pan and destroying the adhesive.

Just my .02!

TD, it helps to prime both of our aftermarket converted E85 cars once the temperatures go below freezing, they just don't seem to like the cold. Even with the engine preheated, they like a second squirt.

WINTxxx, a 500 Watt heater pad is actually not suitable for a car. No matter what manufacturer, they state clearly that this is for oil quantities of 15 quarts to around 35 quarts. You can actually do damage using one like this.

The 250W heater is recommended for oil quantities 6 to 15 quarts. They say a 125 W heater pad is sufficient for the regular car with 5 quarts of oil.

Either way, they don't fit on any of our cars, no oil pan is straight.

Greetings!

Hybrids crank quite fast (tried but couldn't find the actual rpm), but mine wasn't firing so had to do the stop/start again. I'd rather do that than to put an extra gallon of gas in at fill time.

I have two conversions, one with a temp sensor and one without. I'm using the one with b/c it doesn't stumble with summer (warmed up) starts. I might switch to the other (original Jonny Energy), which might have slightly better cold start.

Well, under favorable conditions, most hybrids do not use the regular starter to crank but the electric motor instead, which is way more powerful.

I look at it the same way, if I can prime instead of adding even more gasoline to my E85 (which is inconvenience here due to no blender pumps), I rather do that.

I have a current FuelFlex wit Cold Start assist, but have not noticed any improvement from the older system. But, I also run my system as lean as possible, this might be a major factor. (am on "4").

Greetings!

BigGreen -  Wow.. I did not know that!

I guess I always wondered if that much heat would bake the oil.  I've never actually used one, but was considering one for my old Buick V6.

Guess I'll stick with a smaller heater if I do it.    Thanks for the info!

I was driving a Honda Insight for a while (considering to get one), thus not a Full Hybrid, it would do the trick.

Up to today I was unable to find out if the gas engine is a GID (Gasoline Direct Injection) which would be perfect for E85. They new Hyundai's and Kia's are.

According to manual, unless the battery goes below80%, the electric motor starts the engine, below that the regular car starter does. It sure sure does feel and sound different, hope you get to experience that one time.

I wanted to get the maximum wattage on a heater myself, but am sticking with the manufacturers recommendations. Besides, the less wattage I have to use, the less electricity I am using, and aren't we all into saving energy in general?

Greetings!