Sign in to follow this  
mpall85

Hawaii finally gets some E85!

The great state of Hawaii is finally going to have E85 available to a tiny proportion of its vehicles:

http://www.cspnet.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications::Article&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=1E12FE18DE534A0AA78260B5B0C85B48&AudID=CBA745B91AFB44FA923476ACBBD040A5

When I was there in 2008 on vacation, I saw hundreds of rental vehicles that were flex fuel capable.

I'd like to see Growth Energy make a push in this state... make a deal with the rental fleets to put in a blender pump at the main airport... have all FFVs filled at the airport with e85, along with literature on the fuel, and maps showing where it can be purchased, with the note that the car "can use regular gasoline in an emergency..." ::)

Great way for the ethanol industry to expose large number of tourists to FFVs and e85!

The only problem is that it is on base so it appears that it won't be available to the general public. I'm surprised it took them this long. At what is now joint base Lewis-Mchord they have had their own E85 pumps for about a decade, years before there were any public pumps in this area.  I'm also surprised that they have an outside contractor operate their pumps instead of owning and operating them like is done at many other gov't locations. However since it is a private supplier that operates lots of stations IF they can get a reasonably priced supply in large enough volumes then they may expand it to more of their operations, which would be good.

..... with the note that the car "can use regular gasoline in an emergency..." ::)

i like it.

I like it too but as we all know gasoline isn't equivalent to E85 so what might be better...

"can use regular gasoline in an emergency, but performance will suffer when using gasoline..."

FFVs should also have a warning stating...

"Use of regular gasoline will cause a loss of horsepower and torque.  Prolonged use of regular gasoline will cause a buildup of sludge in your fuel system, and cause undue/premature wear on all parts of the motor.  Use regular gasoline should be restricted when at all possible." ;D

Don't forget to warn public, whom choose unleaded fuel use during cold winter months, of water buildup hazard that can cause engine harm and engine stall. Recommendation to either routinely add dry gas to tank such as the alcohol formulas or burn gasoline with such additives/blends to avoid expensive tow truck services. 

:laugh:

yes... and also point out that "prolonged use of regular gas will require more frequent filter changes and servicing of the engine, and will eventually lead to the premature failure of multiple components of the engine due to the inferior quality of gasoline, and dirty buildup from it's storage and combustion...  Use of e85 will prevent these occurrences...  Use regular gasoline in extreme emergencies only!"

I think all GAS pumps and vehicles should also warn consumers of additional concerns to their health and welfare:

Caution! --Contains Benzine--known to cause cancer in humans

Caution! --This product is known to produce particulates when used as fuel and causes respiratory problems.

Caution!--Use of this product will deprive your country, state, and locality of wealth , jobs, and security.

Warning- use of this product provides income to known terrorist groups!

ONLY USE THIS FUEL AS A LIMP HOME FUEL IN EMERGENCIES! iF YOU MUST GET HOME STRONGLY CONSIDER WALKING OR KEEPING A BIKE IN THE TRUNK.

;D

If someone is artistic consider making and posting a warning label incorporating all the ideas everone has listed here. ;)

Might just post these on the old gas nozzle at stations eh?