Sign in to follow this  
cessna

From airplane forum

Coyote Ugly lands his Supercub on the tops of mountains in Nevada and is quite character---I think he probably is running some ethanol through his engine. Here is one of his comments.

After reading this forum, I am very surprised that beer even stays in the can, seems like it should just go through it like paint thinner in a styrofoam cup. :?

Here is the best one

* Report this post

Re: More ethanol discussion

Postby lancef53 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:21 am

I just started flying my Vans RV-8 kit plane that I have been building for the last 2.5 years, and ran it today with 5 gallons of E-98 mixed in with 11 gallons of 100LL, or about 30 percent ethanol. E98 is the ethanol that the plants produce, before it is mixed with petroleum to make E-85 and other blends.

Watching my Dynon, the EGT came up about 125 degrees when I switched tanks from straight 100 to the mixed tank. When i brought the EGT back to the 100LL temp, the fuel flow had increased about a half a gallon. Tomorrow I will try out 50% ethanol.

Aside from the EGT and a slightly different exhaust smell on the ground, I couldn't tell the difference. I had my Bendix servo set up at Airflow performance, and by leaning, I can run anything from E98 to 100LL, or any mixture inbetween.

Just for comparison, E98 is about $1.50-2.00 a gallon.

Vick--maybe you should fill out your signature block so we know what makes you an expert.

lancef53

lancef53's Photo gallery

* Private message

After reading this forum, I am very surprised that beer even stays in the can, seems like it should just go through it like paint thinner in a styrofoam cup. :?

;D  That's great ..Got to start using that