Sign in to follow this  
rusty70f100

Converted an old 2 stroke Lawn Boy!

This has to be by far the easiest conversion I've ever done.  It's an old 2 stroke lawn boy mower, that was obtained several years ago used.  It used to have throttle controls and self propulsion...  that no longer worked.  It's now push only, and it's only got one engine speed.  Fast.  Which is good for mowing the ditch.

Anyway, the conversion was accomplished by draining the tank, and refilling with E85 / 2 cycle oil mix.  The instructions on the back of the unit said to mix 8 ounces oil per gallon.  I mixed about 5, since that's all it got on gas anyway and I figure more fuel will be going into it, and therefore more oil.  So after pouring the new fuel in, hit the prime button and pull it 'till it starts.  Then turn the mixture screw out (rich) until it stumbles, then back in a bit (lean) until it starts running smooth, then back out a little until just a hint of stumble is detected.  Done.  Didn't even have to crack the carburetor open.

Actually, it starts easier on this E85 mix than it did on gasoline, has more power, and smokes far less.  I'm happy.

Update:

The Lawn Boy continues to run well.  I found that I have to use Redline Synthetic 2-stroke oil.  The conventional stuff comes out of suspension after a few days, and winds up on the bottom of the tank.  Fortunately I caught it before any damage was done.  The Redline stuff stays in suspension.

I now mix 4 ounces of Redline Allsport 2-stroke oil with 1 gallon E85.  Works great.  To start it cold is 10 pumps on the primer button, and one pull.  Starts first pull every time.  On this mixture it will not smoke at all.  Even if I hit the prime button repeatedly after it's been run for a while and warmed up.  It'll stumble a bit then smooth out again, but no smoke.

I'm using this stuff for the oil:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?productID=21&subCategoryID=3&categoryID=3

Good job. No smoke you should send the post to Obama. I would suggest the auto makers but they don't seem to comprehend anything but Electrial - hybrid. Now back to the update, I'm really impressed with the conversion and especially the No smoke part.  8)  Later.

Good job. No smoke you should send the post to Obama. I would suggest the auto makers but they don't seem to comprehend anything but Electrial - hybrid. Now back to the update, I'm really impressed with the conversion and especially the No smoke part.   8)  Later.

I'm afraid if I did that, Obama would dream up something like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

"The Trabant was a steel monocoque design with roof, bootlid, bonnet, fenders and doors in Duroplast, a form of plastic containing resin strengthened by wool or cotton. This helped the GDR to avoid expensive steel imports, but in theory did not provide much crash protection, although in crash tests it allegedly performed superior to some contemporary Western hatchbacks.[5][6] The Trabant was the second car to use Duroplast, after the "pre-Trabant" P70 (Zwickau) model (1954–1959). The duroplast was made of recycled material, cotton waste from Russia and phenol resins from the East German dye industry, making the Trabant the first car with a body made of recycled material.[3] 3,096,099 Trabants were made.[7]"

Seems pretty advanced to me---ring ning ning  :D

Probably some of the crash protection came from the oily coating left on all surfaces by the 2 stroke. At least in all sideswipes you were good to go. ;)

And just a reminder again of at least what another 2 stroke sounded like-- go to SAABSOUND near bottom of page- close eyes, imagine your in a Trabant;

http://donneysaab.com/TDM-MiscInformation&Events.htm

Went out and started the Lawn Boy mower this spring.  The mixed E85 / Klotz Benol mixture had been sitting outside all winter, with some in the tank.  It was still mixed this spring, as all I had to do was top up the tank (fuel was still colored light red from the Benol) and fire it up.  Ran fine, and I ran it probably an hour.  So, I don't think the Benol will come out of suspension from the E85.

The JD LX178 also ran fine on it's E85.

Just thought everyone would like to know.

Just to keep everybody updated:

Recently the Lawn Boy developed this loud rattle noise after being run for approximately 10 minutes, and continue until it cooled off again.  I pulled the plug, and there was significant carbon / gunk buildup that smelled like the castor oil.  I figured there was buildup either sticking a piston ring, or causing the piston to rock over and slap the cylinder wall.

So I moved the piston up about 3/4 of it's stroke, and filled the cylinder with Seafoam.  I assume everyone knows what it is; it's been around for years.  I also added some to the fuel, and I'll be adding 1 or 2 ounces per gallon of fuel when I premix the fuel from now on.

I ran it for a half hour and the noise is gone.  You should have seen the smoke cloud!  ;D 

Just thought everyone would like to know.

So, the question begging for an answer. You are aware of the horrible reputation ethanol and 2 cycle engines. Repairmen accuse ethanol destroying costly engines and doing so get an easy pass for expensive repairs as no guilty party. You see the owner gets a pass this way as well as repairmen. Could the problem mostly be owners using wrong oil? Since so much confusion on 2 cycle oil and cheap readily available outboard oil on the shelves. Also, no API-TC oil rating out there.  For instance.....this is what I'm currently doing.

I think most 2-stroke repairs are a result of user error.  Either they get the wrong oil as you have described, or they let their premix sit too long, or they're experimenting with oil quantities without checking for wear, or they're not keeping it in tune (letting it go too lean), or are just careless when premixing the fuel.

The problem I've found with ethanol, specifically E85, is keeping the oil mixed in the fuel!  Most oils I tried would drop out of suspension.  The Klotz Benol did not, and that's why I'm using that.  It, unfortunately, is a dirty oil.  It will leave deposits.  If I could find a synthetic that would mix, and stay mixed, with the E85, I'd certainly use it.  However, I think the Benol / Seafoam / E85 mix shows promise, and I'll continue my experimentation.  Someone's got to "fall on the grenade," so to speak.  ;D

What I do know is that it ran the simple Benol / E85 mix for quite a while, and it ran very well.  One pull starts, unable to stall it, more torque, and almost no smoke.  The no smoke was amazing for running Benol.  So if I can get the deposits under control, I think I'll have about the ideal premix.

I'm also burning the Benol / E85 in the weed wacker (JD T30C), so I'll check for deposits there too.