• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Actually, the oil I use, is Klotz Benol.  It's made from castor beans.  So no fossils there. :)

https://www.klotzlub...hsheet.asp?ID=2

Of course there's still the 15% gas in the E85.  If I had access to E100 I'd try it.

I'd say the biggest effort I had to put in was the initial trial and error.  Getting the oil right was the biggest thing.

Edited by rusty70f100, 19 May 2014 - 02:32 PM.

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - George Bernard Shaw

#2 #1BigHero6Fan

#1BigHero6Fan

The Hiro Hamada of the ethanol world!

• PipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationLansing, Michigan

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Congrats on that conversion by the way! Sounds quite easy.

Thankfully I don't have to bother with oil or fluids at all as I use battery powered lawn equipment (weedwacker and lawn mower), but the trade-offs are that the lawn mower battery life isn't as long as I'd like it to be, and the cost of the mower (with battery) was $460. Saving about $9/year on crapoline, about $5 on oil, and potential repairs on the spark plug or other parts of the mower, it will take quite a while for this investment to pay off. The nice thing with your situation is you hardly had to do anything, and it didn't cost you very much - a cost which was paid back as soon as you started the mower with the new mixture.

Also not to mention that neither of us is truly fossil free (unless the oil you use is synthetic) - all of mid-Michigan's electricity comes from coal. Now if only I could live up in Ithaca, 45 minutes to the north. The entire town of 2,900 is powered by wind!
Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars. -Casey Kasem
E85 is less than a dollar per gallon!!!
View May thru July 2016 prices
-Alcohol belongs in cars, not humans. -Me
-2012 Dodge Charger 3.6L Pentastar V6
-Listen pal, we tell it like it is. Somebody is bugging me, I let 'em know. And yeah, maybe that's why I like animals. They tell it like it is. Woof, moo, quack. That's straight shootin'! -Frank Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond (episode: "The Bird")
-I fail to see how you fail to see that it's AWESOME! - Hiro, Big Hero 6

#3 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Another year, everything is still working fine...

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - George Bernard Shaw

#4 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've been running the same E85 / Benol mix in my weed wacker as I run in the Lawn Boy mowers.  I find that it runs best after it warms up for a minute or two.  It'll run fine and chop weeds no problem right after it starts up, but it doesn't really reach max rpm until after about a minute.  I guess that kind of thing is typical for most 2-strokes, gas or E85.

You're certainly doing more testing than I did.  My testing went no further than a glass jar in the garage.  Good to know it'll stay mixed in such extreme conditions.

#5 Corey872

Corey872

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Glad to hear everything is working out for you, Rusty.  IIRC, in my weed eater thread, you ask about the oil and I don't believe I've had a chance to reply.  I'm running the Klotz Super Techniplate.  Before I ran it, I did some testing.  I mixed it to a 25:1 ratio, then tried various things to see how it mixed or separated with E85. 

I mixed E85/S-TP in one vial and made another with the oil on the bottom and fuel on the top.  After about 4 days the oil dispersed in the fuel, and the mix showed no signs of separation.  I tried to freeze the mix to -20F, centrifuge it an hour at 800G, add 20% water, etc.  There was no fuel/oil separation what so ever.  The only thing I did find was once I went past ~15% water, I got an alcohol/fuel separation, but up to that, everything was a solution.  But to do that, you'd have to leave the tank out in the rain with no cap, or purposely add water to the fuel - just no other way to get that much water in the fuel.

So I labeled S-TP 'the good stuff' and called it a day!
[center]Acura RSX-S - 2.0L - 12.5:1 CR - Precision 5857E @ 15psi[br]The Build - The Specs - The MPG[br]E85 "The biggest performance fuel bargain on the planet" - Gale Banks

#6 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Now what's the fun in that?  ;)

#7 Dan M

Dan M

Admin

• PipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationSt Cloud , Mn

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Another year, nothing much more to report.  Everything's still running great.

I've decided to just run Benol in everything.  The engines seem to love it, and that way I only have to keep one 2-stroke oil around.

Rusty I swear you said  Beno lol

Attached Files

#8 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Another year, nothing much more to report.  Everything's still running great.

I've decided to just run Benol in everything.  The engines seem to love it, and that way I only have to keep one 2-stroke oil around.

#9 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well, another summer and winter gone by, and more to report.

I found out last summer that Klotz Super Techniplate will in fact mix well with E85, and stay mixed.  I used that interchangeably with Benol last summer.  It smokes far less than the Benol too, without completely eliminating the characteristic smell.

I also found out what was making the noise with the older Lawn Boy.  It turns out that particular mower was designed for 16:1 fuel to oil mix.  I was giving it far less.  When I mixed the oil to what the motor required, there was no noise at all.  So it would look like you need to mix according to the manufacturer requirements, even after E85 conversion.

Anyway, the 22" mower, after having mixed E85 in the tank, and being outside all winter, fired up on the second pull this spring.  ;D

All E85 powered yard equipment is a go for another year.  Take that ethanol haters!  ;)

#10 rusty70f100

rusty70f100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, I'll be taking it apart sometime soon.  It's going to rain all next week though, but hopefully there will be some nice days in there.

I've got some Klotz Super Techniplate on the way.  They say it will mix with E85.  If anyone knows of another E85 compatible oil, please let me know!

Oh, and Klotz lists the Benol as working in both air and water cooled pre-mix applications.  They just recommend different mix ratios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

E85 Mobile APP