Sign in to follow this  
paganegyptian

Fuel Pumps

On my 99 Firebird, the Factory Pump finally failed at 130,000 miles. So I went with what everyone else was using. Walbro 255 lph. I t worked well for the first month, then Its slowly started dying. after another 2 months, it finally had to be pulled after only getting a reading of 5 psi of output. This isn't specific to E85, but in a whole. My Friend went thru 2 in 3 months.  So I went with a tried and true leader in Alcohol fuel delivery, Aeromotive. Its pricier, but worth it. The pump has metal roller vanes, unlike Walbro's plastic ones. And is 50% larger as a whole. I am using a universal inline rated at 190LPH, and is doing awesome. I get 60psi at the pump and 54psi at the rail using an inline Purolator fuel filter.  Aeromotive advertises 45PSI max and 190lph, but I can assure everyone, those are very conservative numbers.

The Walpro guy was looking for pumps that had spent time in E85 a while back. Some discussion centered around grounding and plastic tanks- if you want to give it up for research he might still be interested in giving you a new one.

Which model number walbro were you using?

The one I sent in was a GSS-342 which is the 255 lph high pressure, there are two versions of the 255 lph pumps a high pressure and one that is not rated at high fuel pressure.

Where did you buy it? There has been a problem in the last year or so with all sorts of "popular" automotive items being counterfeited in China and getting sold black/gray market. You might have been burned by a gray market pump, or they might have cut corners on their designs recently I have had good luck on mine, 35,000 miles on the one I sent in for examination.

What fuel pressure were you running it at in the beginning?

What part of the country were you in?

Do you have a grounded metal fuel tank or a non-metallic tank?

What part of the country are you in (ie high humidity or low/moderate humidity).

Not sure if the offer for replacement still exists, the guy that was doing it retired, and I have not been able to contact his replacement since. (I lost the contact info).

Larry

I have been running Walbro pumps and Ethanol for over a year now, and my friend is going on 2 years using grounded tanks without any issues. I use one 255hp Intank and one 255hp Inline and I even left the Ethanol in the tank/lines for 6 months all winter and still no issues. I run a base fuel pressure of 50psi through a 1:1 regulator so I am seeing 73psi at full boost.

I was using a unit ordered from Summit racing. I dont have beginning pressures. Being in eastern TN, I am only minutes from where the 6,000,000 gallon per year Ethanol plant is (Tate and Lyle). My 99 Firebird has a composite tank. I am thinking that the design of the Walbro pump isn't what it used to be.  My new pump pushes 65 psi to the fuel rail. Summit warranted the part out for me. The Aeromotive has a much lower but louder tone while it is running than the Walbro. There is an obvious difference. 

Bump--I'm using an Aeromotive 340lph pump now. No issues so far, but they do say that alcohol use shortens the life of the pump. Base pressure is 50psi on my 2.5RS with no mechanical adjustments.