Sign in to follow this  
Turbopackman

Anyone ever use SU carbs with E85?

Hello all, Turbopackman here, and I've got a simple question. I'm building a straight eight Packard engine with twin turbochargers and a pair of HS6 SU carbs. My plan is to configure the engine for use with E85, as it's relatively easy to come by here in Kansas. My main question is, with all the talk of the corrosive properties of E85, are SU carbs capable of using it? All the other fuel system components are not a problem, as I'm buying everything new anyway.

I'm not familiar with those carbs, but as a general rule, E85 compatible materials:

Anodized aluminum, stainless steel, bronze, nickel plated steel & non ferrous metals, reinforced fiberglass, Buna-N, neoprene rubber, polypropylene, nitrile rubber, Viton, Teflon and other fluoropolymers.

Things to stay away from:

Zinc, brass, lead, lead based solder, unanodized aluminum, natural rubber, polyurethane, cork gasket material, leather, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) polyamides, and certain thermoplastic or thermoset polymers.

Where are you located in Kansas with easy access to E85?  Hopefully out west where there is a little bit of a price break as incentive to use it!

TurboPACman,

WOW!!  Now THAT'S a project!! 

I wonder if it would be worthwhile converting this carb system to dual Throttle body Inj. instead.

would you be money AND time ahead with such a conversion if the TBI units were already E85 capable??

-or-  Are you trying to stay authentic/orignal as much as possible..

I'm located in Wichita, Ks. We have at least 3 stations that sell E85, but I haven't checked prices lately.  And it figures, the needle and jet are brass. The floats are plastic, although I don't know what kind.

This is what I'm aiming for:

34_47fd6de24e7a1.jpg

As for the TBI, I really don't want to do that, for the reasons you stated.

Unfortunately, that's not my car. I'm just wanting to emulate it. Currently, my ride looks like this: 34_47f9c3be3a023.jpgwidth=500 height=375http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/newbb/34_47f9c3d20e4cf.jpg[/img]

This is why I'm thinking of doing this now, while the thing is in the development stage, and not later when it's all done. I have to rebuild the engine, run the fuel lines, configure the turbos and carbs, etc. So now is the time to decide if I'm going to head this way. I really want to use E85, so if my SU's won't work, I'll have to find another pair of carbs. The only problem is, almost all the needles and jets in any carb are made of brass.

???    :D   Hey thats great and I was even saying last week we should have a contest on who could add the rustiest bucket to the gallery.. clearly you are beaming with pride with that pile of iron  :D     Actually would love to see how your project turns out (more than happy to se you list it) ..and we can all track the transformation .

I have buddy with a small autobody shop..always amazed to what he starts with and what he ends up with

nova2.jpg

width=500 height=335http://wallysautobody.com/nomad.JPG[/img]

http://wallysautobody.com/gallery.html

From the looks of it you will have time to test the brass needles yourself :D Throw your carb parts in a sealed jar with E85 and start watching them- if after considerable time passes and you observe no chang- add a < 1% water and see if this starts to be an issue.

The only problem is, almost all the needles and jets in any carb are made of brass.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal to take them to an electroplater and have them lay down a strike coat of nickel.  I have seen recommended thicknesses of 'at least 0.0002 inch' - but even double, triple, or quadruple that minimum thickness, we're still talking less than 0.001 inch - shouldn't even come close to messing with any tolerances or fits of the thread.

If you wanted to consider a DIY project, you can buy nickel plating kits pretty commonly...for instance:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/nickel.htm

Either way, I wouldn't let a couple of brass screws burst the bubble on this project.

Thanks for all the info and enthusiasm guys! I do have some little HS2 carbs I can drop into a jar of E85 to test, if they get destroyed it won't matter to me.

Dan, if you only knew what it took to find a Packard chassis that was usable! The list of parts I've acquired so far is: a 1937 Packard 115c chassis, a 1953 Packard 9 main 327 straight eight and 3sp O/D trans, the top shifter off of the '37 trans to convert the '53 trans to floor shift, a 1925 Packard radiator shell and headlights, and finally, the pair of SU carbs. I have other odds and ends, but this is the main "pile" I have so far. Like I said, all the fuel system components I'll have to buy, so that's no problem. 

Corey, thanks for the link to the nickel plating, I've been thinking of doing something like that for all my little parts anyway.